Please note: this is an old article
It was published in November 2018, so the information may be out-of-date.
Aquamoves is looking forward to having Challenge Shepparton in its backyard for another year.
The world-class event attracts both professional and amateur triathletes and their families from across the country for an exciting weekend of fierce competition.
The centre will be participating in the racing for the third year in a row, with Centre Manager Marcus Cook securing some of the region’s top talent to represent Aquamoves across three separate teams, including the Aquamoves Elite Team, Mixed Junior Team and the Aquamoves Staff Team.
“I’m very proud of the line-up, with every athlete involved having a strong connection to the centre”, Mr Cook said.
After placing second two years in a row and hampered by the late withdrawal of runner Grant Hicks due to illness last year, the Aquamoves Elite Team will be back on the start line, set to tackle the gruelling full Challenge event in the hotly contested Men’s section.
Aquamoves Elite Team
- Swim: Brennan Swift – “National level behemoth competitor from the Shepparton Swimming Club”
- Cycle: Liam Edwards – “Shepparton Cycling club member fresh off a silver medal at the state titles”
- Run: Grant Hicks – “Evergreen runner and member of the Shepparton Runners Club”
As in previous years, Aquamoves will also have a Mixed Junior Team racing in the Sprint Distance event and Mr Cook said bringing together the talent for this team had been particularly rewarding.
“Last year this group of young athletes lit up the course in a big way and they are definitely keen to deliver again. Giving them the chance to race together in their home town is pretty special and knowing how fast they went and how much fun they had last year – it’s really what the event is all about.”
Mixed Junior Team Member Hayley Hogan iterated this sentiment when recalling her experience swimming last year.
“The team really enjoyed the chance to be part of what is a huge event, so I’m excited to get out into the open water once again and see how I go against the triathletes. Hopefully I can swim a good time to put our team on the road with the leaders."
Mixed Junior Team
- Swim: Hayley Hogan – “A friendly Aquamoves Pool Lifeguard and national level swimmer from the Shepparton Swim Club”
- Cycle: Sam Eddy – “Young gun fresh off a silver at the state U19 men’s road race”
- Run: Jack O’Mahony – “Super swift member of the Shepparton Running club”
Rounding out the entrants is the Aquamoves Staff Team, with the boys Marcus Cook and Glenn Archer having enjoyed an extended winter period of hibernation where training ranged from very limited to non-existent. However with the retirement of runner Tiaan Freer, new team member Kate Flynn has bucked the trend and is in impressive form after having recently completed the Melbourne Half Marathon.
Aquamoves Staff Team
- Swim: Marcus Cook – “Not suited to swimming”
- Cycle: Glenn Archer – “The postman”
- Run: Kate Flynn – “The real athlete”
Mr Cook said the centre loves being involved with Challenge Shepparton and is looking forward to witnessing some great racing over the weekend.